Saturday, May 9, 2009

My first 5K race.

As many of you may know, a so called friend of mine (Jody Wrathall) convinced me to sign up for a half marathon that will be held in October. In a moment of weakness I agreed. I started to train for it in February and have been running on a fairly regular basis. I decided that it would be good idea to try and run a couple of shorter races before to measure my progress and get a feel for the whole competition thing. I have not raced competitively since High School. We will not discuss how long ago that was.
Today was my first race in Hermiston. It was a 5K. For those of you who do not speak kilometers, that is 3.1 miles. I prefer to say 5k because it sounds like more. I really only had 3 goals going into the race:

1) Finish under 30 minutes
2) No vomiting
3) No walking-run the whole way.
I have to consider the race a success. I managed to accomplish all 3 goals. My race time was 29:06, I felt like vomiting, but I held it in, I considered walking but there was an old lady(older than me that is) on my tail and there was no way I was going to let her pass me.
It’s time to get serious on the training thing now. My next race will have to be a 10K (7.2 miles). After today I am very aware that I am not even close to ready.



Thanks babe for the new outfit. I look like I know what I am doing.

It's a good thing you can't see my face here. I think I might have been crying.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

So called friend, huh? SO CALLED FRIEND?!? Well, at least I know where I stand. But anyways...great job on the race! You're well on your way to kicking my butt at the half.

Arianne said...

Good for you Heather...You are my hero!!!!

Arlene said...

Way to go!!!! I wouldn't even attempt it.

Amanda said...

Awesome job Heather!! I love your outfit and congrats and not letting that lady pass you!!! I felt the SAME way when I was running!

Amanda said...

Way to go Heather!!! very awesome accomlishment.