Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Hood to Coast Relay

So it has been just over a week since Ryan and I ran in the Nike Hood to Coast Relay. It has been about 3 days since we have been able to walk without crying. 197 miles is a long way to run, even if you are sharing it with 11 other runners. It still works out to be aprox. 18 miles per person. An accomplishment that I still can't believe I managed.

Our team was named Team Dragginass. (Get it?) It consisted of 12 members. 6 members per van. Van #1 (our van) began at the Start Line at Mt. Hood and each of us ran our first legs. We then handed off to the first runner of Van #2 and they took over. Their runners each ran their first legs, and so on. The cool thing about having 2 vans, was that it gave us a few hours off the course to eat and rest a bit.

It worked out so that we ran about every 10 to 12 hours. You would think that would be plenty of time to recover, but that was certainly not the case. It was just enough time for the stiffness and sourness to set in.

Van #1 at the Start Line.
We obviously had no idea what we were in for.
Ryan's first Leg. (What a view)
Me handing off to Michelle after my first leg.

Getting ready to hand off to Van #2 that Ryan's Sister Soni and Brother CJ are in.


I know that it sounds crazy, but even with all the pain and lack of sleep, we can't wait to do it again next year. There is just something about doing something that you never thought you would have been able to do.

6 comments:

Dane said...

Heather, you totally inspire me. Congratulations on such an enormous feat. Love the team name, only you ain't draggin' anything!

Arianne said...

You both are so cool!!! You must be so proud of yourselves!! It looks like you had a great time being with the other runners!! Wow is all I can say!!!

SunnyD said...

I'm seriously soooo amazed. That is just great. I would be so afraid that I would get all pumped up to do something like that and then not be able to make it. That would totally suck! :)

lydia moyer said...

i am so excited for you, that you did it! it is so worth it to work that hard for something and accomplish it!
you are amazing and i hope your girlfriend race is just as rewarding!

Taryn said...

I just don't understand runners...I think it's crazy :) I hate having that feeling my throat is bleeding! :) BUT super props to people like you who aren't pansies like me :)

Arlene said...

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! And if we had known you two had just run a huge race we wouldn't have borrowed Ryan's muscles tonight!!!